Sitting at my friends house last week drinking some coffee and chatting about her day. I glanced down at a stack of catalogs and something caught my eye. Looking down was a Justice Clothing Catalog which is a popular mainstream clothing store for girls. What I saw on the front cover of the catalog brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my heart. Picking it up I began to flip through the pages of the catalog, and a deep sigh of relief and joy filled my soul. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, my mind was going 100 miles per hour, and all I could think was "this is incredible, this is amazing, this is so cool, this is so freeing". Your probably thinking "Christina cut to the chase what was in the catalog".
Well here are the pictures from the catalog.
You can probably conclude after seeing these pictures what I was thinking. How AMAZING, COOL, INCREDIBLE, FANTASTIC...the list goes on. It is that Justice is using girls of all different shapes, sizes, ethnicities, skin colors, body types, and heights for their clothing campaigns. Looking through this campaign and catalog. Every girl around the US flipping through it will be able to identify in some way with one of the girls in the catalog. They will be able to see an outfit, look at their own body and know it will look good on them because they see a model similar to themselves wearing the same outfit. Some would call it smart marketing or some would call it a push in a new direction with body image. Whatever others call it, I call it a miracle. Why? Because self hatred and self consciousness begins with girls at that age. At the age where most girls shop at Justice, right before they graduate to Forever 21. It starts when they are in elementary school and are constantly bombarded with airbrushed, photo-shopped, digitally altered images of models and celebrities. That plants messages in their heads that, that is what they need to look like to be beautiful. So many young girls also believe they need to look a certain way in order to fit the trends and feel beautiful in their own skin. But there isn't always a model for every body type that teaches them that they CAN be beautiful in their bodies. What I love about Justice is that the did JUST THAT. They showed every girl out there, that they could wear the trends, and be absolutely beautiful in them.
Bravo Justice Bravo!!!
What does this have to do with this fashion blog?? EVERYTHING. Because that is our goal here at beauty has no size. To show girls, young women and women everywhere how to dress in a way that fits their body type. To help women and girls everywhere see that the trends are not just for one body type but for ALL body types and that they don't need to wear a certain size in order to feel beautiful in the trends.
Our first outfit we are going to use to demonstrate that is this one below!!
In this outfit we have 3 signature pieces.
1. A black turtleneck top from H and M $5
2. A black satin dress from H and M $15
3. A chunky glam necklace from Forever 21. $10
Looking at the runways this past season, satin dresses layered with a turtle neck are trending. How to pair it for your size and shape is a different ball game. So here is how you can wear this trend to fit your body shape.
1. Tall and Curvy - If you have a tall curvy figure like I do. Then you can wear this dress with black tights underneath like I did. The slits on the side were a little high for me, so wearing black tights made it look classy and sheek. I also paired it with black ankle boots from forever 21 for a classic elegant look for a night out with friends, church, a date night, a wedding etc.
2. Tall and Straight - If you have a tall straighter frame. You can wear both these pieces like I layered them. But instead of black tights you can do a shimmer or printed tights, with black lace up ankle boots for a punk grunge look.
3. Petite and curvy - If you have a petite curvy frame, this dress will almost look like a maxi dress on you, verses a dress that hits your calves like it did for me because I am tall. For this dress the slits on the side won't go as high as it did on me, they will probably hit your knees. That way if you wear spanx like I do, you don't see them on the side where the slit is. You can pair this dress with cute platform heals or boots (black, or white). This will elongate the dress just in case it's hitting the floor. You can also pair it with a solid colored ballet flats (black or white) that are currently trending for more casual everyday look for work, a day out with friends, a nice dinner, or church.
4. Petite and Straight - This look will also look great on you if you have a petite straight frame. You can also pair this outfit with a cute pair of ballet flats which are currently trending (black or white) for a more casual look. You can wear a pair of ankle boots, or solid colored heals (recommended black or white) to create a more elongated look for a night out or a wedding.
What I love about this look is that whatever body shape you have, you can dress it up and down. These pieces you can find at Old Navy, Forever 21, Gap, H and M, Target and so much more. You don't have to spend a lot of money to look great, and you can look great in the trends no matter what body shape you have.
We hope you enjoyed this weeks Fashion Post! Remember you are beautiful, and feeling beautiful doesn't start with being a certain size. It starts with being confident in the body you have, and embracing your one of a kind beauty.
Beauty Has No Size
Special Side Note - The photographs taken for this fashion blog are by Karli Sculnick photography. Karli is a wedding, lifestyle and Fashion photographer based out of Orange County CA. You can visit her instagram at - @karli_s_photography or email her at email@example.com
Christina is passionate about restoring value, purpose, identity and beauty to the young women of this generation. Follow- @beauty_hasnosize